Clinical Lab Specialist
Under the general supervision of the Director of Laboratory Services, the Clinical Lab Scientist performs technical laboratory testing to facilitate optimum patient care in accordance with laboratory policies and procedures and federal/state regulations, including FDA, CAP, COLA, OSHA and CLIA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs and reports assigned analytical tests, including high complexity tests on biological specimens, in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner in compliance with laboratory procedures.
- Determines acceptability of specimens by performing visual inspections or by recognizing abnormal/unusual results. Documents unacceptable specimens according to appropriate policy. Communicates specimen requirements to appropriate personnel.
- Maintains quality assurance policies and procedures to ensure validity of results. Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Performs quality control for all testing and meets established ranges before patient results are released.
- Maintains a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory by performing equipment checks, cleaning work area, and monitoring temperatures in accordance with regulatory agencies and laboratory policies.
- Recognizes and troubleshoots malfunctions of advanced technological equipment, notifies the Director of Laboratory and initiates corrective action. Documents any corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Enters test results into the Laboratory Information System.
- Participates in Quality Assurance Review.
- Performs phlebotomy duties as needed.
- Bills accurately and in a timely manner for laboratory procedures.
- Organizes and maintains general laboratory supplies. Requests laboratory supplies as necessary to ensure uninterrupted specimen collection and testing.
- Transports STAT laboratory specimens to other local laboratory facilities, as needed.