Civil Engineer I
This position performs entry level professional civil engineering work in connection with the design and construction of Public Works street, storm water, sanitary sewer and water improvements. Duties include preparing project plans, details, specifications and cost estimates; performing engineering studies, investigations and analyses; reviewing plans and specifications for compliance with City standards and specifications; and general engineering functions and responsibilities.
* The City of Decatur is a drug free workplace. This includes marijuana. Candidates will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen, physical and background check post-offer.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position).
1. Prepares plans, details, specifications and standards for moderately complex capital construction projects to assure compliance with City standards and specifications through the application of conventional engineering formulas and procedures.
2. Prepares detailed material and quantity estimates and corresponding cost estimates for projects.
3. Reviews shop drawings for compliance to project specifications and standards.
4. Reviews progress payments to contractors.
5. Provides technical assistance to other staff.
6. Assists survey party in performing surveys for design, rights-of-way, construction staking, as-built information and investigations; and may operate survey equipment including transits, levels, theodolites and electronic total station.
7. Reviews the accuracy and completeness of prepared technical drawings for use in design work.
8. Researches or reviews property ownership and interprets, writes and plots legal descriptions.
9. Coordinates work with other City staff, other agencies, contractors, consultants and the public.
10. Prepares reports recommending public infrastructure needs, timing, costs to repair, etc..
11. Reviews plans and specifications for compliance with City standards and specifications.
12. Responds to written, telephone and personal inquiries from the general public, consultants, contractors, other agencies, utility companies and other City staff for information relating to engineering operations, requirements and responsibilities.
13. Investigates and prepares preliminary recommendations in response to complaints and requests from the public relating to non-routine street, drainage, water and sewer problems.
14. Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills
1. Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited school.
2. 1 to 3 years of experience directly related to civil engineering.
3. Possession of an Engineering-In-Training (EIT) Certificate.
4. Possession of a valid State of Illinois driver's license.
5. Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering.
6. Knowledge of the application of surveying principles, practices and use of related equipment.
7. Knowledge of construction practices, materials and equipment.
8. Ability to understand and apply personal computer spreadsheet, word processing, and computer aided design software to engineering applications.
9. Ability to understand and follow general written and oral instructions.
10. Ability to understand, apply and analyze conventional civil engineering applications to Public Works projects in performing design work or evaluating completed technical, engineering or construction work for compliance.
11. Ability to plan and organize multitasked projects to meet specified completion dates.
12. Ability to organize and complete the preparation of engineering plans, reports, studies, etc.
13. Ability to effectively communicate and deal with the public, contractors, fellow workers and superiors.
14. Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions and at construction sites.
Residency must be established within the corporate limits of the City of Decatur within six (6) months of appointment. Having a Decatur address does not necessarily mean the address is within the corporate limits of the City of Decatur. If there are questions regarding residency, please contact Human Resources at 217 424-2805.