Under supervision of the Recreation Supervisor, the Decatur Park District (DPD) Tumbling/Cheerleading Instructor is a non-exempt position under FLSA, responsible for directing and supervising the DPD tumbling and cheerleading programs. This employee must possess excellent supervisory, organizational, verbal communication, public relations, and tumbling/cheerleading instruction skills. This employee should provide a warm and inviting atmosphere for those individuals attending DPD's tumbling and cheerleading programs. This employee's work schedule traditionally occurs on Monday and Tuesday evenings between 3:45 PM and 9 PM.
Experience: One year experience working with children and a minimum of six months experience teaching tumbling, gymnastics, or cheerleading is required. High school or college cheerleading experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and utilize lesson plans that teach children tumbling and cheerleading
- Set-up tumbling/cheerleading room to be consistent with lesson plans
- Lead the program through instruction for all participants while remaining consistent in all interactions with the participants
- Evaluate each tumbling/cheerleading class upon completion to determine action necessary to improve upon each program and present this information to the Athletic Supervisor.
- Assist in resolving concerns, incidents, and complaints from participants, parents and/or legal guardians, and the general public
- Utilize rosters to ensure each participant is registered for class
- Communicate effectively with DPD staff and personnel to ensure quality programming and participants' experiences
- Evaluate program facilities and report potential hazards, inadequate equipment, etc. to the Athletic Supervisor for the purpose of implementing and/or assisting in making modifications or recommendations that ensures the safety of the program facilities
- Anticipate potential risks of injury, take measures to remove them, and in the event of injury, have the ability to implement emergency medical procedures
- Ensure equipment in tumbling area is set up properly to ensure participant safety.
- Interact and develop positive relationships with all participants and their parents/legal guardians
- Ensure the safety of all participants and be familiar with participants' medical conditions and/or special needs
- Take inventory of equipment before and at the end of each class session
- Maintain a variety of records (e.g. accident and incident reports, checklists, etc.) and submit these to the Athletic Supervisor
- Routinely act as a resource for public inquiries regarding activities and programs and direct the public to a staff member that can answer their inquiry if you are unable to
- Provide parents with information desired about tumbling or cheerleading
- Be alert and aware of severe weather potential and follow all DPD safety procedures during severe weather conditions
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary or assigned