Surgical Technologist First Assist
Provides direct support to surgeon and clinical team throughout perioperative phase of care. Positions and preps patients prior to surgery, ensures clear visibility for the surgeon by using instruments such as retractors and sponges, controls bleeding, closes surgery sites and properly dresses wounds. Assists in maintaining an effective operating theater and optimizes procedural care.
- Graduate or successful completion of accredited Surgical Technology or Surgical First Assist program or has successfully completed military training in surgical technology is required.
- Military documentation to establish education includes a DD214 demonstrating graduation from a military training program.
- 3 years of experience in surgical services is preferred.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) is required.
- Certified Surgical Technologists (CST) issued by National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting Certification is required or proof of current certification by one of the following certifying bodies: National Surgical Assistant Association for the certification of surgical assistants; Liaison Council on Certification for the Surgical Technologist as a certified first assistant or American Board of Surgical Assistants in Illinois.
- Certified surgical technology through an approved Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) for Wisconsin.